Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Decorated for Christmas: the kitchen

And into the kitchen we go....... who says Christmas decorations have to be red and green? How about copper,gold and brown?

reindeer tree

Our house is twenty years old, so every room is SCREAMING for an update. It's been"on the list" for a long time.....you all know how that goes......especially when you are trying to do some of the work yourself! My better half had been painting the kitchen and I asked him to stop so I could decorate....so the wall behind the stove still has the UGLY paper..... but my Christmas decor is UP!

The theme in the kitchen this year ended up being Reindeers. The tree is full of reindeer ornaments, sleighs, and reindeer bells. Here are a few close up photos of the tree

reindeer tree closeup

reindeer tree closeup 2

Even the table is dressed in copper, brown, and gold

kitchen table

The dishes on the kitchen table change frequently. Today the setting is a simple bronze charger, green earthenware dinner plate (from Cracker Barrel), and a Santa face salad plate (from Wal-mart). The stemware we have had for years (I think it was one that was available at Kroger). The flatware is Nikko's Happy Holidays.

table setting

I have picked up four of this and four of that (dishes)....sound familiar?.... so I have been changing the table settings in the kitchen to use some of them. I'll try to remember to take pictures of some of the others!

If you look around the kitchen (not too closely or you will see our kitchen-update-in-progress) there are a few other reindeer and Christmas items.

On the counter there is a Santa, reindeer and sleigh. I added greenery and picks to Santa to match the garland and wreath. I love the reindeer detail

santa

Over the stove (yes the stove is on its way out because it has become too temperamental and works when it wants) is a wreath

wreath

and the UGLY wallpaper that will be gone and painted after the Christmas decorations come down.

I have a bakers rack on the other wall. The top shelf holds a pretty wooden reindeer

shelves top

and the second shelf holds a Santa with 2 reindeer

shelves middle

and the bottom shelf has 2 reindeer and a sleigh filled with greenery (and behind it you can see where my husband thinks he cleverly hid the paint can,putty, rags, and brushes)

shelves bottom

It's okay. We found a stopping point in the madness that goes along with home repair/fix-it-up. The kitchen, unfortunately, may be a work-in-progress for a while as we repair/replace things as we are able. The wall that the bakers rack is on will either have more cabinets added (you can never have too much storage) or half the wall will be removed to open up the kitchen into the dining room/living room area.

Are you catching on why this blog is called a southern daydreamer? I am definitely a daydreamer!

I wonder which room we will wander into next? There's more Christmas decorations!

Technorati Tags:

12 comments:

  1. You have decorated beautifully...the gold & bronze are so rich looking! ;-) Bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love all the gold & bronze. Your changing place settings sure sounds familar lol.. I do that often as well. :-) I even looked at more dishes today..how can a gal resist the bargain? I know you're looking forward to the updates..hope your day is going well.

    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan! How elegant your decorating is!! Didn't you just change your blog header too? It's beautiful!I love the colors you're using in your kitchen! Thanks for the visit and understanding. It's not easy, is it?
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am anxiously awaiting the other rooms! I need inspiration to decorate some other rooms in my home. My Christmas company comes Saturday! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY GOODNESS GIRL.YOUR HEADER IS FABULOUS AND THIS COPPER AND GOLD.WOW.YOU SHOULD JOIN TABLESCAPE TUESDAYS AT SUSANS.YOU HAVE ALOT OF "STUFF'TO JOIN.I'VE NEVER BEEN "INTO"THIS,SO I'M JUST NOW STARTING TO COLLECT.YOU ARE AWESOME...ANN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    WOW you are so festive! Great whimsical blog!
    xoxo
    Alicia B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, this is all sooo pretty! Those santa plates are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan~ ~
    What a lovely home you have and you are so right, Christmas decorating is not a color it's a mood & style you create and you did a lovely job. Found you through the tour. It's so nice to meet you. Stop by for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,
    I am really enjoying your Christmas decorating. You and I have such similar tastes. I really love my bronze, gold and reindeer garland this year. I love yours too--you have some very nice reindeer. I plan to look for more after Christmas.
    I am off to explore more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daydream-in is my inspiration Susan!
    So beautiful.
    Happy Holidaze!
    *Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of your decoration! I even have those gold Santa ornaments on my big tree (which I haven't shown yet), and they are some of my favorites! I almost think you & I could switch houses, & we wouldn't be able to tell a difference...except, I believe you actually have more decorations than I do. I love your cross-stitch too! Didn't know you were new to blogging. I've only done it since 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the non-traditional colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I enjoy reading all your thoughts and will try to answer any questions you might have for me. Have a wonderful day....hope to "see"you again soon!