Thursday, January 21, 2010

1/22 Foodie Friday

Foodie Friday Logo 2Gollum at Designs by Gollum is the hostess for “Foodie Friday” (clicking on the logo on the right will take you to her site)

Following up my Outdoor Wednesday post on the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” I thought I would share a recipe for them! (I had never had one until after I saw the movie….had to try them…and they are good!)

Best Fried Green Tomatoes

  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 15 minutes
  • Ready In: 20 minutes
Ingredients
  • 4 large green tomatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Preparations
  • Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. (Discard the ends)
  • Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl.
  • Scoop flour onto a plate.
  • Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate.
  • Dip tomatoes into flour to coat.
  • Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture.
  • Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
  • In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat.
  • Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. (Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other.)
  • When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Visit Gollum at Designs by Gollum for more “Foodie Friday” participants.

Technorati Tags:

20 comments:

  1. I know that this is supposed to be a Southern signature dish, but my Connecticut grandmother made them frequently. I loved them growing up and still love them. I introduced my husband to them a few years ago, and now he loves them too! Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan. Growing up in Alabama, these were on our table a lot! Yummy!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother made these at the end of homegrown tomato season, waste not want not! She also made green tomoto pickles watermelon rind pickles in the same non-wasting tradition. :D Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make these at the end of summer. However, I have never used cornmeal. I'll try that. It would make a great texture and flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got to try this! Since watching "Fried Green Tomato" movie long ago, I always thought it a must try..Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved fried-green tomatoes! One of my favorite sandwiches, that a lot of Southerners eat, is a simple mater sandwich. Simply mayo and tomato slices on a good white bread. I enhance on this a bit when I have leftover fried-green tomatoes. Oh, I want one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day I'm going to have to try these - great photos.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy I found this blog! I, too, am a Georgia blogger. Although my blog is largely about books and life, I love to cook and often write about food. You have a lovely site and I look forward to visiting it often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A true recipe from my past...wow I am thinking of my Nanny right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had them..I love crispy fried eggplant, I wonder if it is a similar taste..
    Hope your are well, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had them and don't personally know anyone who has. Just my bloggy friends. Everyone raves about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definetly a Southern staple. Come by and visit me and enter my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always loved these when they are well prepared, and that sounds like a good recipe, Susan! YUM! And thanks!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of these for years and years, most of my life, and have never had them..or known how they were made. Never even bothered to look, but now I AM going to try these. They sound wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.
    TONIGHT I am fixing them for dinner. It's time I stepped up to the plate and tried them. My family is Southern.. (makes me wonder why they never made them??)
    Well...like I said. It's time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen the movie many times but have never tried fried green tomatoes ~~~ this is a must for me! Thanks for the nudge and have a great week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite movies so I enjoyed seeing your photos of the cafe in the previous post. I also like to eat the tomatoes too, but they need to be enjoyed HOT while they are still nice and crispy... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Susan, these look scrumptious! I wish I had a "batch" now!
    XX00

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness YUM!! I LOVE fried green tomatoes! I have never made them myself though. I will have to try this recipe!! Thanks!

    Also, I just started an online reading group! If you like to read or know anyone who does, please join me!! :)

    A Southern Girl's Online Reading Group

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I enjoy reading all your thoughts and will try to answer any questions you might have for me. Have a wonderful day....hope to "see"you again soon!